Sunday, December 5, 2010

Must. Finish. This. Paper.

Dear paper,

You are due tomorrow. The research has been completed, the books referenced, the thoughts laid out in well-structured sentences. And yet, even in the final hours of writing, you taunt me. I feel the need to read you a thousand times, combing for errors, searching for a slip in judgement or formatting. And each time I read you, I become more convinced of you being returned to me with "FAILURE" stamped across your front page. I beg of you, be complete and passable. I have invested weeks of my life into your existence and the thought you being less than satisfactory is driving me to distraction.

Yours sincerely,
The frustrated paper writer

2 comments:

Kates said...

it's okay sweetheart, you will finish it and it will be AWESOME!!

Dycks Pycks said...

Karen, I feel your pain. Every paper I write is a painful exercise in trial and failure. I like to think that it conditions humility, but it just as often turns me into a bitter old fatalist. In the end it's really just ego-stroking.